Ensure Your Orthodontic Journey Is Successful
Receiving orthodontic treatment can be a serious game-changer. The result tends to be a beautiful, straight smile and a great improvement in your oral health. Achieving these results does require notable attention to detail when it comes to caring for your braces. These orthodontic devices have come a long way since their initial creation. They’ve become more effective, more durable, and easier to live with for the duration. However, it’s still necessary to take the appropriate steps to ensure they can do their job along the way.
Ways To Ensure That Your Orthodontic Journey Is Successful
The journey’s first and most important part is remembering the end goal. Remind yourself of where you’re headed whenever you get frustrated or start to slack off on caring for your braces. It will take a bit before you start seeing results, but you’ll be grateful. Below are some other tips to help you along your journey.
- The first day with your braces will feel a bit odd. You’ll find yourself constantly noticing them and running your tongue over them. As a result, you’ll likely produce excess saliva and find yourself reflexively swallowing more. You’ll likely also find your speech altered for the first few days. This will all pass quickly, however, so stick with it!
- Receiving your braces isn’t a painful process. However, many patients report that they experience soreness and tenderness in the first couple of weeks. Anti-inflammatories and acetaminophen can effectively relieve the discomfort until it passes on its own.
- Cheek and lip irritation may also occur during this period. This is often due to the brackets and wires from the braces. Keep dental wax on hand to apply to these points; you should experience immediate relief. You can also use a pencil to press the wire back against the bracket to ease the irritation. Be sure to use the eraser end.
- Take your time getting familiar with your new smile. Brushing braces is tricky, and it takes a little practice to ensure you get it right. You must take the time to get between the crevices to eliminate all the food debris and bio-films such as plaque and tartar. There’d be no more tragic end than removing your braces to discover an abundance of tooth decay needing to be repaired.
- Orthodontic flossers are a great help with finishing up your dental hygiene routine. These are designed to easily get between the teeth and eliminate food debris and biofilms. This is best performed at the end of the day before bed.
Speak To Your Orthodontist For Further Guidance
Be sure to check in with your orthodontic specialist regularly. They’ll be interested in hearing how your journey is progressing. They’ll offer tips to help with any concerns you encounter and be your best support source. Together you’ll be able to make it through your orthodontic journey and come out of it with a smile you’ll cherish forever!